What is a Cambelt?
A Cambelt is a timing belt which is one of the most important parts of the engine of a vehicle. It helps in harmonising the movement of the crankshaft of an engine with the camshafts. This enable the machines valve to open and close at proper intervals.
A Cambelt in a car is as important as a chain in a bike. The replacement cost is not the main concern for a Cambelt breakage, it is the damage that it causes. The breakage of the Cambelt results in de-synchronisation of the engine timing, bending of the engine valves, and causing damage of the cylinder head. The whole sequence of the engine functioning is set out of rhythm.
Why is Cambelt replacement required?
Bad fitting, water and oil leakages and of course wear and tear over the time causes the Cambelt to snap. When it does, it causes major damage to the cylinder head and the camshafts.
It is advised to replace the Cambelt after every 100,000 km or 10 years whichever comes earlier to avoid damaging the vehicle engine. So when you start hearing a rattling sound in your engine, it is time to get your Cambelt checked.
Look for signs like:
- Unnecessary squeaking coming from protected area where the Cambelt/chain runs
- Sudden stalling of the engine, and inability to regain start.
What is the process of Cambelt replacement?
- Removal of the Cambelt cover and inspection of the belt and its associated part including the cylinder head.
- Removal and replacement of the Cambelt, idler bearings and tensioners.
- Reinstalling the dismantled parts and the Cambelt cover.
- Restarting the engine and checking the engine timing.
- Checking the water pump for any leaks and replacing it if necessary
How can we help?
If you choose us for your car maintenance we perform Cambelt checking for any signs of material wear, slackening, glazing, etc. It is advised to get the Cambelt replaced if any such signs are detected, as Cambelt is an essential part of an engine.
Cambelt replacement is a job for experienced professionals. Fortunately Cambelt repair or replacement is one of the major services that Henderson Valley Automotive provide.
Although we offer a straight Cambelt replacement service we recommend you replace all the idler bearings, oil seals and water pump if this is driven of the Cambelt at the same time this will save money in the long run as the whole job is only done once.
When you get your Cambelt replaced with us you can be sure that
- We will provide a clear estimate for the service before starting service.
- Our services come with a 12 month warranty on parts as well as labor.
1. Where are we located?
Henderson Valley Automotive is conveniently located just behind the Mobil station on the corner of Henderson Valley road and Smythe Road. We are just across the road from the train station and Henderson Mall. 17 Henderson Valley Road.
2. What payment options do we have?
We accept Visa/Mastercard, Farmers and Q Cards and MTA gift cards. We also do WINZ quotes.
3. Where do we service in Auckland?
We have primarily cover Auckland suburbs: Te Atatu, Henderson, Kumeu, Massey, New Lynn, Ranui, Sunnyvale, Swanson, Waitakere and West Auckland
4. What are our hours?
Monday to Friday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM